20 fun facts about our pets
Here's 20 of the most interesting domestic pet facts from around the interwebs:
1. Dogs are in fact not colour-blind. They just see less vivid colours, like human vision at dusk.
2. A single female dog, her mate, and her puppies could produce over 66,000 dogs in just 6 years!
3. Domestic cats sleep on average 16 hours a day - that means in a cat's average lifespan, they've only been awake for about 3 years.
4. Cats only meow to humans. They developed this sound to get attention from us, and food.
5. Cats and dogs are lactose intolerant.
6. Chocolate is toxic to dogs, so more for us!
7. Rats laugh when tickled.
8. Gerbils while are smart enough to learn simple tricks and make great mini show jumpers.
9. Cats don't hunt by instinct, they have to learn to hunt from their parents, so unless your cat was taught, you'll probably not get any presents.
10. Cat's whiskers are as wide as their bodies, they use them to avoid going places they'll get stuck.
And here's 10 more awesome facts!
11. Rabbits have almost 360 degree vision. They see everything except from a small spot in front of their nose.
12. Rabbits literally jump for joy.
13. Horses have bi-focal eyes. The lower part of their eyes focus on the distance, and the upper parts are for closer viewing. They also have the largest eyes of any mammal.
14. Horses remember people and events for life. They are also capable of understanding a lot of what we say to them.
15. Hamsters are colour blind.
16. Dog and Cat noses are as unique as human fingerprints.
17. Cats can't see directly below their own noses, that's why they sometimes miss their treats.
18. Kittens can dream from 1 week old.
19. ...and Dogs dream like people, with similar sleep patterns.
20. No one actually knows which is smarter, dogs or cats... because cats are so difficult to work with. Perhaps that's because they're smart enough to know they don't have to.